Several months ago, we were blessed to have Dr Mel Blackaby come to serve as Pastor of First Baptist Church of Jonesboro. As part of the Blackaby family, I knew we were in for some insightful Bible teaching, but it didn't take long to figure out that his messages had profound meaning that my friends in the 'blog world' might benefit from too. For that purpose, and a desire of my own to have all my notes in one place, I decided to start a new blog that contained these messages. There will also be a few things from other speakers that I've heard over time, but those will be noted on the sidebar as they are added. I hope you get as much from these messages as I do!

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Serving in Christ

Colossians 1:24-29

Colossians 1:24-29 -"Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me."

***To be in the presence of Jesus is to know the power of God

***The mystery of God: Christ in you, the hope of glory!

***Everyone in Christ is made perfect, ('perfect' in Hebrew means 'fulfilling a purpose'; in Greek, it means 'ideal')

***Christian perfection is found in fulfulled purpose

***Christian service is accomplished through Christ in us

***Christ does not give you skills, talent or power - He gives you Himself

1 Samuel 16-7 -"But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

***The Christian life is not only about going to heaven when you die, but about dying to yourself on earth

***Is your faith based on religious activity or on a relationship with Christ?

***It is crucial to not just CALL Him Lord, but to MAKE Him Lord

***Is there any excuse for inactivity when God is in you?

***A life God can use is a life motivated by a pure heart

***Are you serving the Lord? If not, why not?

***It's not about you, it's about Christ IN you!

***He is the answer to every question you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment