Several months ago, we were blessed to have Dr Mel Blackaby come to serve as Pastor of First Baptist Church of Jonesboro. As part of the Blackaby family, I knew we were in for some insightful Bible teaching, but it didn't take long to figure out that his messages had profound meaning that my friends in the 'blog world' might benefit from too. For that purpose, and a desire of my own to have all my notes in one place, I decided to start a new blog that contained these messages. There will also be a few things from other speakers that I've heard over time, but those will be noted on the sidebar as they are added. I hope you get as much from these messages as I do!

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Reconciled in Christ

Colossians 1:19-23

Colossians 1:19-23 - "For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant."

***We don't set the criteria for heaven - God does!

***Genuine faith makes a difference in our life

***He has provided all you need to be holy and blameless before God IF you continue in the faith

John 10:27 -"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me"

Philippians 1:15-16 - "It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel"

2 Timothy 1:12 - "That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day"

1 Peter 1:3-5 -"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time."

***If you are a Christian, you are safe and your eternal salvation is secure

***Colossians doesn't talk about security, but perserverance

Revelation 14:12-13 - "This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey God's commandments and remain faithful to Jesus. Then I heard a voice from heaven say, "Write: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on." "Yes," says the Spirit, "they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them."

***The emphasis of perserverance in the Bible is on the price, but on the person

Hebrews 10:26-29 - "If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?"

***Salvation makes a difference. If our salvation does not show a new lifestyle, we should not presume upon God eternal life

Matthew 7:21-23 -"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"

***Your salvation is not a private matter. It is demonstrated in full light before a watching world

***Are you living your life on a false security?

***The blood of Jesus was not shed to get you into heaven, but to reconcile you with God

***How is your relationship with God?

Colossians 1:22 -"But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation"

***Christ's goal for your life is holiness

***Salvation is secured in Christ

***Are you in Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment