Several months ago, we were blessed to have Dr Mel Blackaby come to serve as Pastor of First Baptist Church of Jonesboro. As part of the Blackaby family, I knew we were in for some insightful Bible teaching, but it didn't take long to figure out that his messages had profound meaning that my friends in the 'blog world' might benefit from too. For that purpose, and a desire of my own to have all my notes in one place, I decided to start a new blog that contained these messages. There will also be a few things from other speakers that I've heard over time, but those will be noted on the sidebar as they are added. I hope you get as much from these messages as I do!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Priviledge of Suffering in Christ

Colossians 1:24

Colossians 1:24 - "Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church"

***How do you view suffering? What perspective do you bring to life? The same instances can cause different reactions based on perspective. To those who trust in God, there is no bad luck or misfortune...only God

***Paul made a choice to willingly suffer to follow Christ

Philippians 1:27-30 -"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God. For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have."

Hebrews 2:9-10 -"But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone. In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering."

Hebrews 5:8-9 -"Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him"

***Not all suffering is because of sin

**Jesus did not sin, yet He suffered. He had a greater purpose

**We learn more and grow more during suffering than any other time

**You'll see a good picture of yourself while suffering

***Suffering is the source of our salvation -- someone suffered on our behalf

2 Corinthians 5:21 - "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."

Luke 22:42-43 -""Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him."

***Suffering is the strength of our salvation - true Christianity is involvement, not escapism

2 Corinthians 12:9 - "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

Philippians 1:29 -"For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him,..."

***Suffering is the sign of Christ in us - the image of Christ includes suffering

***Christ loves the Church

***What about you? Is it a joy to serve in the Church?

***Are you looking for things you can do to build up this body?

***Have you found your place of service?

***STOP WHINING - Why does serving God seem to be such a hardship?

No comments:

Post a Comment