Several months ago, we were blessed to have Dr Mel Blackaby come to serve as Pastor of First Baptist Church of Jonesboro. As part of the Blackaby family, I knew we were in for some insightful Bible teaching, but it didn't take long to figure out that his messages had profound meaning that my friends in the 'blog world' might benefit from too. For that purpose, and a desire of my own to have all my notes in one place, I decided to start a new blog that contained these messages. There will also be a few things from other speakers that I've heard over time, but those will be noted on the sidebar as they are added. I hope you get as much from these messages as I do!

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Many Servants - One Lord

Colossians 4:7 - 15 - "Tychicus will tell you all the news about me. He is a dear brother, a faithful minister and fellow servant in the Lord. I am sending him to you for the express purpose that you may know about our circumstances and that he may encourage your hearts. He is coming with Onesimus, our faithful and dear brother, who is one of you. They will tell you everything that is happening here.
My fellow prisoner Aristarchus sends you his greetings, as does Mark, the cousin of Barnabas. (You have received instructions about him; if he comes to you, welcome him.) 1Jesus, who is called Justus, also sends greetings. These are the only Jews among my fellow workers for the kingdom of God, and they have proved a comfort to me. Epaphras, who is one of you and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends greetings. He is always wrestling in prayer for you, that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured. I vouch for him that he is working hard for you and for those at Laodicea and Hierapolis. Our dear friend Luke, the doctor, and Demas send greetings. Give my greetings to the brothers at Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church in her house."


***Effective ministry requires teamwork
Unity included diversity
Interdependence is God's design

***Effective ministry requires encouragement
Encouragement keeps you in the race
Encouragement is focused on God's grace
The quality of your encouragement is directly related to God's work in your life

***Effective ministry requires humble sacrifice
Phillipians 2:2 - 4 - "...then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."
Sacrifice requires putting others first
Sacrifice is the key to teamwork

***Effective ministry invests in the future
Pass on your faith - Paul passed his life on to his companions
Pass on your ministry

***Every believer is significant in the plan of God

***In the kingdom of God, there are many servants, but one Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment