Several months ago, we were blessed to have Dr Mel Blackaby come to serve as Pastor of First Baptist Church of Jonesboro. As part of the Blackaby family, I knew we were in for some insightful Bible teaching, but it didn't take long to figure out that his messages had profound meaning that my friends in the 'blog world' might benefit from too. For that purpose, and a desire of my own to have all my notes in one place, I decided to start a new blog that contained these messages. There will also be a few things from other speakers that I've heard over time, but those will be noted on the sidebar as they are added. I hope you get as much from these messages as I do!

Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Call to Prayer in Christ

Colossians 4:2 - 4 - "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should."

***How important is prayer in your life? Could you say that you are earnestly praying? Is it a priority or is it something you do if you have time?

***Prayer does not fit us for the greater work - Prayer IS the greater work (Oswald Chambers)

***God does not need us, but for some reason, He has chosen to work through His people

***Prayer is the fruit of Christ in you - to be like Christ is to be a person of prayer

***Prayer is intentional and consistent - it is a decision to invest your life in eternal things

***Prayer is from a heart of gratitude - do it with thanksgiving - do it with a grateful heart that recognizes God's work in your life

***We are called to pray with and for our spiritual leaders
Ephesians 6:18 - 20 - "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."

***Leaders live in a spiritual battlefield - Satan would love to see a leader fall

***Leaders proclaim an eternal message

***Leaders are one among many members in the body of Christ

***Is Christ in you producing the fruit of prayer?

***He is calling you to pray today because He knows your tomorrow

***God is calling you to pray because He is conforming you to the image of His son

***Without prayer, a church is like a body without a spirit - it is a dead, inanimate thing. A church with prayer has God in it. Prayer is the one distinguishing mark of the house of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment