Several months ago, we were blessed to have Dr Mel Blackaby come to serve as Pastor of First Baptist Church of Jonesboro. As part of the Blackaby family, I knew we were in for some insightful Bible teaching, but it didn't take long to figure out that his messages had profound meaning that my friends in the 'blog world' might benefit from too. For that purpose, and a desire of my own to have all my notes in one place, I decided to start a new blog that contained these messages. There will also be a few things from other speakers that I've heard over time, but those will be noted on the sidebar as they are added. I hope you get as much from these messages as I do!

Sunday, June 14, 2009

You Can Trust Him

Pastor Mel was away again this week, so our sermon was by Lanny Loe, our Minister of Missions. As noted above, this sermon is titled, 'You Can Trust Him.'

Romans 1:17 - "For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."

***God is working in our lives, continually teaching us to take the next step

***It is okay not to understand; it is not okay to stop trusting

Luke 2:48 - 50: "When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you."
"Why were you searching for me?" he asked. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" But they did not understand what he was saying to them."


***When the events do not fit into our standard of good and bad, we become anxious

***When difficult days come into our lives, He has been preparing us beforehand for these tragedies

Mark 9:30-32 : "They left that place and passed through Galilee. Jesus did not want anyone to know where they were, because he was teaching his disciples. He said to them, "The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into the hands of men. They will kill him, and after three days he will rise." But they did not understand what he meant and were afraid to ask him about it."

***God knows what you are going to experience and He loves you so much that He tries to prepare you for it

John 8:25-27 : "Who are you?" they asked.
"Just what I have been claiming all along," Jesus replied. "I have much to say in judgment of you. But he who sent me is reliable, and what I have heard from him I tell the world." They did not understand that he was telling them about his Father."


John 16:12 - "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear."

***Jesus wants you to understand - He wants to reveal Himself and His ways to you

***Understanding often occurs with hindsight and the gentle remindings of the Holy Spirit

***You can know Him, but sometimes you can't always find Him

***When your understanding is clouded by tears, grief, and shock, rely on your relationship with God

***When you don't understand....trust

No comments:

Post a Comment