Several months ago, we were blessed to have Dr Mel Blackaby come to serve as Pastor of First Baptist Church of Jonesboro. As part of the Blackaby family, I knew we were in for some insightful Bible teaching, but it didn't take long to figure out that his messages had profound meaning that my friends in the 'blog world' might benefit from too. For that purpose, and a desire of my own to have all my notes in one place, I decided to start a new blog that contained these messages. There will also be a few things from other speakers that I've heard over time, but those will be noted on the sidebar as they are added. I hope you get as much from these messages as I do!

Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Colossians 1:3-8

Colossians 1:3-8 -"We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints— the faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you have already heard about in the word of truth, the gospel that has come to you. All over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God's grace in all its truth. You learned it from Epaphras, our dear fellow servant, who is a faithful minister of Christ on our behalf, 8and who also told us of your love in the Spirit."

***Paul does not thank the Colossians for their faith. He thanks God for their faith.

***The gospel of Jesus Christ is the source of everything good in your life.

***The gospel of Jesus Christ is the event of salvation that comes alive in each person who hears and receives it.

1 Corinthians 1:17-18 - "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

1 Corinthians 2:2-5 -"For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power."

***When you are confronted with the gospel, you are face to face with Jesus Christ.

***The gospel is carried to the world in the body of Christ: the Church.

***All that you need for godliness is found in the gospel of Christ. The only thing missing is our willingness to respond.

***What have you done with the gospel?

No comments:

Post a Comment